Ayurveda is not only an ancient form of treatment developed in India but it is also a way of living which evolved through ages. Though not recognized as per international standards, yet its essence has been realised all across the globe. One of the most important parts of Ayurveda is Panchakarma therapy. It is used in the eradication of harmful toxins from the body that causes imbalance in three doshas.There are five major steps which offer remedies from mild and severe illness of the body.
It has been more than 5000 years for Ayurveda to be a well known healing practice in Indian subcontinent. Basic purpose of Ayurveda is to bring harmony between body, spirit and mind and promote wellness. It’s believed that this divine knowledge of healing has been passed on from Gods to sages and then to humans. Now, the concept of Ayurveda has been adopted as an alternative form of medicine in the United States and in other foreign countries. As per the Ayurvedic principles, any living body is made of space, air, fire, water and earth and these constituents exist in the body in form of energies or doshas which are vata, pitta and kapha. Anything less or more of any of the three doshas cause sickness in the body. But Ayurveda has every solution in the form of therapy for every disease and defect of any organ.
Panchkarma Ayurvedic Treatment is an age-old therapy which helps in removing the toxins from the body through five different healing methods. These toxins or Ama are accumulated in the body for a number of years which actually make a person suffer from mild or severe health complications. The process of Panchkarma treatment is actually a systematic way of deep cleansing the body tissues with the help of medicated oils, herbs and enemas. Harmful toxins or Ama are removed through the skin and other natural passages of the body which are mouth, anal and nasal.
Though there is no international standard set for the recognition for Panchkarma therapy, but there are lot of people in USA are relying on this holistic approach of healing. Even Doctors are recommending the patients to go through following five steps of this life rejuvenating therapy:
What are the 5 treatments of Panchakarma?
1. Vaman:It is the process of vomiting to loosen and bring out the toxins from the body. Emetic drug is induced to heal Kafha dosha which actually causes respiratory, stomach and obesity related diseases.
2. Virechan:Deep rooted toxins are removed from the bowels to prevent causing jaundice, colitis and celiac disease, etc. The task of cleansing the bowels is done with the help of herbal laxatives through internal and external oleation and fomentation.
3. Basti:It is one of the most significant treatment procedures of Panchkarma. Eradication of the toxins are done through anal opening of the body by using enema. It helps in removing life threatening complications like arthritis, piles and other vata related diseases.
4. Nasya:Medicated nasal drops are used to clear the toxins from the two openings of the nose. It is initiated with a massage of head and shoulders. This therapy helps in releasing excess contaminated kafha from the body which causes sore throat, headaches and allergic conditions.
5. Raktamokshana:It is the process of releasing impure blood from the body. It is used in the treatment of blood related diseases like eczema, herpes, cellulitis and blisters. Excess of pitta in the body causes such diseases.